St Beuno’s was built in 1848 as a theology faculty which prepared men to be ordained as Jesuits. Over two hundred Jesuit priests were ordained in the House Chapel!
In 1926, St Beuno’s ceased to be a theology faculty and became an infirmary for elderly Jesuits, but continued to train men in their final year of training for Jesuit ordination.
In the 1970s, there were great developments in spirituality work of the Jesuits and more and more retreats were given individually, including the Spiritual Exercises. Then, St Beuno’s became what it is today, a retreat house and spirituality centre.
Sign up to receive our quarterly email updates!